This initiative is picking up steam and capturing the imagination of more and more people around the world. It is essential that we keep building momentum.
* The June 5 Initiative – a grass roots enterprise is organizing events in Palestine, Israel and the rest of the world in support of Israeli-Palestinian – Two States for Two Peoples, one Peace. Peace must be with justice – end of conflict, end of occupation.
* Events will be held in cities around the world during the week of June 5 (June 5-11, 2007). These events will include marches, demonstrations, seminars, peace concerts, exhibitions. Etc. under the slogans listed above. It is important to begin to meet with the other people in your city that are engaged. We are working to make contact between all of you.
* It is true that there are already similar initiatives that have been launched around the world for the same week. We are trying to cooperate and coordinate wherever possible. It is important to emphasize that the June 5 Initiative is bringing a message of peace. Our message is a positive and constructive message. The June 5 Initiative is in support of the Two-States for Two Peoples solution. Now is the time for peace. The voices of people all over Palestine, Israel and the world must be heard in support of real peace.
* We are working now to get endorsements from people and organizations all over the world behind the June 5 Initiative. Please help us to get endorsements from people and organizations that you know. We must get the endorsements of public personalities whose names are well known. We must enlist more organizations who are willing and have the abilities to work with us to organize events. Endorsement forms are attached to this update and can also be found on the web page of the initiative:
* The wiki for the initiative has been set up to provide a constant flow of information about the initiative. It is important that you use these tools to stay up-to-date and to stay in contact. The address of the wiki is:
* The wonderful volunteers working in the IPCRI office now (Karin Brown, Reena Leibling and Zoe) have begun putting everyone in every city where we have volunteers in contact with each other. It is essential that you begin to work with each other to decide what kind of event you are going to hold and how you will turn your ideas into realities.
* Fundraising for events should be conducted by the organizing committees in each city. The money you raise is for your event. If you need a “fund” or a conduit to receive the money for you, IPCRI can do that. IPCRI is tax deductible in the US and we have arrangements in the UK as well. We can find similar arrangements in other countries.
* We need to raise funds for the events that will take place in Palestine and in Israel and if anyone can help, please let us know. Contributions can be sent to IPCRI at PO Box 9321, Jerusalem 91092. Online contributions can also be made at:
* We have begun to create coalitions with local organizations and individuals in Palestine and in Israel. We hope that together we will be able to hold major events in Tel Aviv, Ramallah, Gaza, and Jerusalem in addition to other events being held in Hebron, Nablus, and Jericho. We suggest that you work to make coalitions wherever you are so that we can combine efforts and energies.
* It is most important to keep us updated on what you are doing, thinking, planning. We want to know about every development concerning this initiative. Please inform us through the wiki and/or through the email list: firstname.lastname@example.org
* We are planning to make some stickers, t-shirts, bumper stickers for the initiative. We will them make them available from the web site. If anyone has contacts to possibly get this service donated in full or in part, please let us know. There is a sample of a proposed bumper sticker in Hebrew attached with this letter.
* Please start thinking about media contacts. We need the media to be on our side and we want to get a lot of free publicity. Contact people in the media already from now and get them engaged in this initiative.
More to come soon!
Gershon is an advisor to Israeli, Palestinian and International Prime Ministers on the Middle East Peace Process and the founder and director of IPCRI, the Israeli-Palestinian Public Policy Institute. He was the initiator and negotiator of the secret back channel between Israel and Hamas for the release of 1,027 prisoners – mainly Palestinians and Arab-Israelis of which 280 were sentenced to life in prison for planning and perpetrating various attacks against Jewish targets that resulted in the killing of 569 Israelis in exchange for one Israeli soldier, Gilad Schalit. Gershon is actively involved in research and advocacy concerning topics such as social policy, environmental security, political strategy, peace education, economics, culture and in the development of affordable solar projects with the goal of providing clean electricity for 50 million people by 2020.